Monday 19 September 2011

The history of Crayola

Since I can remember I've always used Crayola pens since drawing with their crayons when I was younger. So I thought I'd find out a little bit more out about their history.

Crayola brand crayons were the first kids crayons ever made, invented by cousins, Edwin Binney and C. Harold Smith. The brand's first box of eight Crayola crayons made its debut in 1903. The crayons were sold for a nickel and the colors were black, brown, blue, red, purple, orange, yellow, and green. The word Crayola was created by Alice Stead Binney who took the French words for chalk  and oily and combined them.
Today, there over one hundred different types of crayons being made by Crayola including crayons that: sparkle with glitter, glow in the dark, smell like flowers, change colors, and wash off walls and other surfaces and materials.


No comments:

Post a Comment